Saturday 1 October 2011

More exciting news after one month in CHINA!

I'm sorry that I am not updating this blog as regular and as frequently as I should but I have had a lot of technical difficulties with it since I arrived in China more than a month ago. So, I am having my mom update it this time for me. So, if it looks a little different, that is why. She is doing it using an email I sent her and by using pictures I post to Facebook. Well, here goes....

Here is a picture of the school where I teach. The Kindergarten is the red brick building on the right. This was taken from our apartment.


 It was just a crazy busy week. You'd think that being a teacher for 3 hours a day wouldn't be very time consuming. But I assure you, It actually is. Here is a breakdown of my average day :) 
6:15 - Wake up
7:10 - Breakfast in cafeteria
8:00 - Go to supply room and work on finishing touches for my lesson plan
8:40 - Start teaching :) 
11:30 - End teaching, go to lunch
12:30 Meeting with Head Teacher every monday and thursday
1:45 - Evaluations with Head Teacher
3:00 - Head back over to school and teach ELE class
3:30 - Go back to the apartment
4:00 - Start planning what I am going to do for tomorrows lesson (go buy stuff if I have to)
5:00 - Dinner
6:00 - Meeting with native coordinators about how we're doing and what we need, etc..
7:00 - Chinese language class (during the week we have chinese twice, kung fu once, and painting once)
8:30 - Class ends and me and kaydee walk back to the apartment
8:40 - Stop at a store right next to our apartment and buy chocolate ice cream for 4 yuen (a little bit less than 50 cents in America) 
9:00 - Shower/upload pictures and videos to facebook/email Preston/watch Grey's Anatomy/skype/etc....
10:45 - Go to sleep :) 
Here is a picture of me in my first Chinese painting class:

I know it doesn't that busy, but It feels that way sometimes. Anyway, I am in love with everything (except maybe the food...) It's little things during the day that make me stop and think to myself, "am i really here? Is this really my life? How did I get so lucky?" I'll give you an example. 
Today I went and taught my ELE class. ELE is just something where we go in classes and just talk to the little kids for 30 minutes. They know very very little English and all we do is stand up there and talk about things that they can kind of relate to. We use pictures and props, but we still don't get them to speak very much. While I was on my way out of my ELE class, I passed MY class :) the one I teach every morning. As I walked by, I saw Paco inside, so I waved :) before I know it, they are all screaming "TEACHA!!!!!!" And then the Chinese teacher runs out and says, "Oh hi teacher! Come in!!!!" Today was Apple's birthday (yes, that's her name) she turned 6. They were having a birthday party for her. And when I walked in, it hit me. That feeling. The, "i love my life so much" feeling. There's something about seeing all the kids run up and hug you because they weren't expecting to see you :) there's something about all of them saying my name and wanting me to sit by them so they can share their cake with me. There's something about seeing MY kids compared to my ELE kids. There's something about seeing how the kids talk English outside of class with us because they want to make us happy. There's something about seeing the hard work pay off :) There's something about the way the Chinese teachers just welcomed me into the class even when I wasn't really supposed to be there. There's something about the way one Chinese teacher saw my locket and asked what was inside, and then asked me if I had a boyfriend, and how he's so handsome and asked me if I was going to marry him. There's just something about China :) Something special.

You couldn't even imagine what it's like here until you get here. It's 100% not what I expected. I never knew It could really feel like home. I never knew I could love my kids this much already. You think you love them the first day you meet them, but it's nothing compared with my relationship with them now. I can't imagine how much i'll them by the time I have to leave. Leaving them is going to be one of the hardest things. I don't even want to think about it. 
Ok I'll actually tell you about my week now :) Well technically I'll tell you about both of my weeks. Last week wasn't very special. Just a normal week :) Chinese class was really hard last week. I want to just give up. But I won't let myself. As long as I know i'm trying my hardest, then I have no reason to be upset with myself about not understanding it very well. So mom, trust me when I say that I am trying. It just really is like learning 3 languages in one. One for the characters/symbols, one for the words, and one for the tone. there are 5 tones and they are ALL very important. One word can mean something totally different depending on the tone. 

One thing that is pretty cool is that I got my chinese name this week! :) My name is Miao Qing. It means smart and happy/sunny. She also said it had a meaning that meant I am inventive and a fast thinker. I was flattered :) If you don't know how to pronounce it, just say, "meow ching" and that how it sounds lol. No words in China ever look like they sound. Check out my video about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEokgKnIaEo&feature=related
Ok next topic. Chinese karaoke is amazing. I'm tellin' ya, if someone opened some awesome karaoke clubs in America, they'd make so much money. You wouldn't think they are that fun until you go. Me and Kaydee sung Baby and Never Say Never by JB :) if you still haven't watched the video, you can go here: 
In other news, I am still somewhat sick. My throat hurts in the morning and sometimes during the day and my nose is runny a lot. But I'm ok :) and I take my vitamin C almost everyday. I just think that I'm not super healthy because I don't get enough of what my body needs. It's just usually rice and some veggies and that's it. But I finally found some dark chocolate soybean milk that is to die for. It's only 2 yuen so I buy it almost everyday. one thing I really miss in juice. I can't remember the last time I had juice. BUT, this week me and Kaydee found an amazing place that is within walking distance that has amazing dumplings (or as we call them in the states, pot stickers) It's only 4 yuen for 10 of them. And they give you a melted peanut butter sauce to dip them in. It's like heaven in my mouth. But ok, I'll stop talking about food or else I could go on forever. 

One last thing before I end. I want you let you all know that I kick butt at kung fu :) but my body sure is paying for it. Right now I'm soooooooo sore. My whole body. I'll be sure to get a video of me practicin' my moves sometime soon. 

Wow, this is so long. Why do I always talk so much? 

Ok I'll wrap this up :) I'll end by saying that I think it took me exactly a month to really love everything here, and to really feel like I live here. Like, now I worry about going home and missing my bed here. I love my rock hard bed :) I think about how much I'm going to miss some of the food that I'll be able to find again. And when I look at our apartment, I really feel like I'm looking at home. So, I officially feel like I'm  livin' in China :) and no, I'm not home sick at all. I hope that's not a bad thing. And mom, I can't wait to get my packages :) and Preston, I can't wait to get another letter :) 

I won't be writing a weekly email next week cuz we leave for vacation in 2 days and it's our longest vacation. It's 9 days. I'm SO excited! We're going to Guilin and Yongshuo. If you don't know what those places are, google them. And you'll be jealous. 

In the mean time, hope you enjoy this short video of some of my students (I call them my kids) as they dance to a hugely popular Asian song called "Sorry, Sorry" by the group Super Junior.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GylR74rgfk&feature=related
Ok, I love you family & Preston! And, thank you again to so many friends who have supported me in taking on this adventure. I appreciate ALL of you. 
Love, Desiree 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Desiree, it's Christina from the ILP office--I'm in love with your blog. Would you mind if I used clips from this entry in recruiting emails the representatives send out? There are certain places where you really capture the essence of what it means to be an ILP-er and I'd like to share them if I may--let me know! my email is christina@ilp.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love hearing about all your china adventures! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, this is probably super creepy but... I found your blog and was so excited!! Last fall, I went to China while I was waiting for my missionary. Best of luck to you, and enjoy your time in China!! [& if you haven't already, try ji dan bing. it's DELICIOUS!! :)]

    ReplyDelete